Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dying in Bars


I was wondering what it was like chasing stars the way you do
I had been wondering what it was like flying over Neptune and Jupiter
And laughing in God's presence the way you do.
You sparkle fiercely, the way a diamond cuts the skin, you burn.

Sitting three steps over and two leaps from your chair, I glanced and glanced
Hoping to find a way through the maze of drinks and slurred words
And too loud music and find a way to melt into you, to take your skin
And melt it into the dark corners of this stained bar-napkin night
So that I will never forget what it was like to know what flying felt like.

For ten minutes I felt what sulfur and kindle must feel when they meet
And for ten minutes I felt the splitting of planets and the lonely serenading of black holes to one another
And felt God in the small things: your lips, your skin, the way you clasp your hands.

For ten minutes I died.

1 comment:

  1. gorgeous figurations. my favorites: "lonely serenading of black holes to one another" and the assonantal rhyme of "night" and "like". The preceding lines are so suggestive that the final line almost feels too overt--doesn't feel necessary to me.

    ReplyDelete